Saturday, July 18, 2009

Those crazy buttercups, continued...






Here is the promised assortment of my photos of local species in the buttercup family. The other day, while sitting in the forest near some columbine, I entered into my journal, "I belong to a species that has no trouble grouping this diverse assortment of flowers into the same family, yet can't seem to get comfortable with its kinship with chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, bonobos, etc., not to mention Neanderthals." I am in possession of a Natural History text used at Harvard a little over 100 years ago that divides the human species into categories with descriptions that are shockingly racist. For example, it states that there is no evidence that Africans have a soul. That happens to be correct, but where is the evidence that any humans have a soul? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment