Sunday, December 27, 2009

On the Protectiveness of Mothers


Just saw a video, "The Blind Side," whose main character is cognitively challenged, but has incredible "protective" instincts. Then, at morning coffee, was asked about my own mother's influence on me and the word "protective" came to mind. The only photo in my archive that reflects this wonderful protective urge of mothers toward their young is this centipede. Widely hated and feared [after all, they are poisonous], these creatures have a kind of beauty, too. I love watching the wave pattern in their legs as they move along and contrast it with that of millipedes - check them out some time - but when I stumbled across this momma protecting her eggs, I was most impressed that the mothering instinct was perhaps just as strong in this myriapod as it is in any other animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment