Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Got Whitlow? Try this!....or not.



This is the first truly wild flower I've seen this season. Whitlow grass, in the mustard family, Brassicaceae, formerly called Cruciferae, is so small, I almost missed it. With flowers around 1/8" in diameter and stems only 3 or 4 inches tall blending in with other roadside weeds, it is very hard to spot. That is, until you start looking for it. Then you see it everywhere! Whitlow is a nasty infection around the fingernails or toenails that was allegedly cured by this plant. I think I'd try something stronger. Anyway, if you are willing to get mud on the knees of your pants and get really close, this is quite a pretty flower. To get these shots my lens was about 3" away. The scientific name of Whitlow grass is Draba verna. Draba is often used as the common name as well.
In the same area, near the Greenville Y, the pattern of foam on Indian Creek was quite beautiful. Reminded me of a time I was taught how to make marbled paper for the covers of home made books. We just had a rainy period, and now the forcast is for several warm days in a row, so Spring, in terms of wildflower viewing, should arrive on time - this coming Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment