Sunday, July 11, 2010

An "...On Milkweed" Series



Once again, I was prowling around Harold Thud's neighborhood and finding interesting insects attracted to Showy Milkweed. This was my first good shot of the Red Milkweed Beetle this season, almost a month later than their emergence (or my awareness of them) last year. This particular milkweed, one of five types I've found around these parts, smells like peaches. I don't know if the bugs are smelling what I smell, but, if so, it's understandable why so many are thus attracted. Daisies and Yarrow rival the milkweed as "bug magnets" so I expect to post a couple more "...On...." series soon.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Joe,
    I gotta say that I am looking so forward to being able to see some of my favorite American Valley bits and pieces thru your blog long after I've gone to Hell inna Handbasket, California to live among the savages. I guess, thank the gods for the information highway, eh?

    ReplyDelete