Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Weed-eaters Missed the Teasel


I found the moth I mentioned this morning in a field guide. It's a Ctechua moth, Ctechua virginica. Saw lots more of them this morning when I didn't have my camera. They're very wary, so tomorrow I'll try with my telephoto. Beautiful, shiny black body and wings with a bright red head. They were landing on Pennyroyal. I plan to learn more about them - some from internet sources and lots just by watching. Another special plesure today was photographing the teasel on the way home. Very impressive, 7-8' tall, prickly plant that you just know the weed-eater types would love to eliminate. But these were just across the ditch, out of range of all but the most aggressive of weed-killing operations. Teasel power!

No comments:

Post a Comment