Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Satisfying, Impressive Bug



In a recent post, I lamented searching milkweeds all summer for the Red Milkweed Beetle and finding only one. I resorted to posting a photo of a beauty taken last summer. Today, I was rewarded by a co-worker's finding an impressive specimen of Prionus californicus in the men's room at camp. I caught it and showed the kids who had just returned with me from a morning "bug walk." It was very impressive. It made a rubbing or hissing sound whenever touched. I often come across the larvae of this great beetle while splitting firewood. I know the larva live in tree roots and can cause great damage. But I also know they have been around much onger than humans and do far less damage to trees than we do. Even though one of this beetle's favorite foods is the namesake of this blog, black oak, I like the beetle, too. As the great geneticist Haldane said, somewhat facetiously, "It appears that God had an inordinate fondness for beetles."

No comments:

Post a Comment