Monday, August 9, 2010

Still Blooming in Late Summer






A friend and I were wondering why most flowers blooming this late in the summer are yellow. Neither of us took a "scientific" survey, but it does seem that the roadsides still have patches of poppies, lots of madia and gumplant, mullein, some St. John's wort, and so on. So, this selection of photos is biased. I made a point of including some pink, some white, and a Douglas-fir cone. Also, I'm partial to flowers with bugs on them. But, I still wonder if there's anything to our hypothesis. I remember in summers past when I traveled a lot on the east side of the Sierra there was lots of rabbit brush and other yellow species over there. Could it have to do with dryness, different amounts of energy needed to make different pigments? They say curiosity killed the cat, so I'll give it a rest for now. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Click on any one for enlargement and ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment