Monday, September 27, 2010

Commercializing Leaves







I'm enjoying the gradual but speeding changes in the foliage around Quincy. Lots of maples, mostly non-native, have a branch or two turning red or orange, then a few more, then, in a couple of weeks, the whole tree. A few species in certain locations turn totally red while the same species in another part of town may not have begun to change color. This is one of the features of Quincy that always reminds me of my native New England. It was quite a thrill to see this resemblance acknowledged in yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle. The travel section had a report by someone who visited Quincy and lamented that on a weekend, most retail businesses were closed. I have mixed emotions on the matter. Having watched over our Main Street Artists gallery on a few Sundays and noticed a distinct lack of foot or automobile traffic, I longed for some collective entrepreneurial energy that would increase the odds of me and my fellow artists selling some of our work. If Quincy were a tourist destination town, like many of those along Highway 49 in the Gold County, there would be bookstores, antique shops, galleries, restaur- ants, etc., etc., open on Sunday, as well as some parking hassles and maybe increased prices and the resulting greater income opportunities. On the other hand, one of the things I enjoy most about Quincy is that very quietness. Is there a happy medium?

No comments:

Post a Comment