Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Designed? Not.








On this frosty morning, the last thing I thought I'd do is get out the camera. However, on the way to work I heard my son in the back seat marveling at the patterns of frost on the car window. When we pulled up in front of Pap's donuts and my favorite, bright red oak trees were also coated with frost, I just had to get some photos. Then, when I got to work, I was struck by the beautiful frost patterns in the lawn. So, it looks like I may be a winter photographer this year after all.
The patterns in the car window, which grow and change while you watch, are better understood from the perspective of fractal geometry. The properties of water near the freezing point can result in crystal formation in patterns that are fundamentally quite simple but give the illusion of complexity. No designer needed. Same with DNA. The end result may seem so complex as to require a designer. That just begs the question, though. Whence the designer? Enough thinking already. They're just beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment