Friday, October 15, 2010

Special Guests





I had never heard of these elegant bugs until last week when a friend invited me over to see this exotic bug clustered on her oak trees. I photographed them then brought a few home in a container. When I learned from a little internet research that they rarely cause any harm, i released them on the oak trees in my driveway. Today, I noticed for the first time large numbers of them have landed on my oaks and here are a few photos. I plan to learn more about them and will post my findings here. Note in the second photo that the adult comes in two color patterns. No juveniles on my trees at this time, but on my friend's trees there were dozens of juveniles apparently kept close together by just a few adults. The juveniles had not developed wings and their exposed abdomens were black and white striped like a raccoon's tail. Very picturesque when framed by adults that were either white with red racing stripes or black with yellow spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment