Monday, November 29, 2010

Nature As Distraction? So Be It!

As I was driving the 22 miles of beautiful country road that I do at least twice a week, I was listening to the BBC news. Nearly all the news was bad: the WikiLeaks crisis, desperate lives involved in the oil industry in Nigeria, North Korea's shenanigans, and so on. However, it wasn't long before that became mere background noise. What was really occupying my mind was the natural beauty around me and also a forthcoming geometry lesson involving Pythagoras and Fibonacci. In other words, my mind was just as cluttered as my office. Imagine if I were inclined to use a cell phone on top of it all! I'd be dead by now.
Later this evening I plan to add to this post a couple of illustrations of what I'm up to with the geometry lesson. Also, I want to thank someone from Chester who sent a comment two posts ago. The one titled "Doldrums or Transition?" I don't have a basement, so I can't follow the person's suggestion literally. However, my woodpile will serve the purpose. A theme of "where do all the critters hide out during winter" is a good one and I'll address it from time to time. I'll undoubtedly continue to expose some of these hiding places as I split my rounds into kindling. Other hiding places are probably nooks and crannies in the garage and house that will be revealed when the critters get warm enough to explore. These posts will be supplemented by my occasional trips down the Feather River Canyon. In winter, I always make a few stops to tip over rocks and logs or peel bark off fallen logs in order to expose the dormant critters for photography. I make a special effort to restore their hiding places after shooting a few pictures. That's more than the bears do.

No comments:

Post a Comment