Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oaks' Last Stand


As I mentioned in an earlier post, the California Black Oak on all roads leading into and out of Quincy are very colorful. For another week or two, the bright patches of orange with occasional reds will stand out against the evergreens. Then the leaves will fall and the snow will follow. I live on a cul de sac known locally as "the cold spot" and most seasonal changes here lag behind those of the greater American Valley. The oaks along my driveway and in my back yard have just begun to catch up to those along highways 70 and 89 in intensity of color. In the photo immediately above, taken toward my back yard, two adjacent oaks have turned color quite differently, one the more common orange and the other bright red. But the reddest of all, so far as I have seen, is still the pair of oaks in front of Papa's Donuts in East Quincy (top photo), and they are just now beginning to lose their leaves. I saved two leaves off these trees from the fall of '09. They're pinned to the wall in my office, and they are still bright red.

No comments:

Post a Comment