Monday, January 31, 2011

The Perils of Watercolor


I took a few outdoor photos for today's post on this last day of the month, but on the way back into the house I got to thinking I'd rather post photos of two little watercolor paintings I did recently in my nature journal. The butterfly (or moth?) was in my dining room the other day, and the kingfisher was seen on Stampfli Lane a week ago. I wasn't quick enough to photograph the bird, so I used a some internet photos to guide my painting.
On the way into the house, some melting snow on my roof dripped onto my head. I ignored it. A few minutes later, as I bent forward to photograph my paintings, some water dripped right onto the journal. Thus, the blurry left wing and text just below it. Maybe I'd better switch to acrylic paint and waterproof ink.
Will post a few of the outdoor photos I took today - after Ping Pong!

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    I LOVED the butterfly/moth image. Not only was it a very nice watercolor (a truly annoying medium) but the snow melt made it look as though the pesky little devil had fluttered it's wings and smeared the soft pencil graphite of the posting notes...
    Made an already believable image even more real.
    Harold T.

    ReplyDelete