Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mad About Madia






I love free entertainment. This field on the corner of Quincy Junction and Chandler Roads has been providing it for weeks. The first time I saw the field solid yellow from blooming Madia was a thrill. I saw it on my way to work at around 6:45 a.m. The low angle of sunrise caused the blossoms to glow. I stopped for lots of photos: direct light, back light, front views, rear views, with and without visiting bugs..... I couldn't get enough of this beautiful flower. They populated not only the field but the shoulders on both sides of Quincy Junction Road. On my way home in the early afternoon, I was startled. The flowers seemed to be gone. I thought "those dam mowers again." But they reappeared the following morning! Madia elegans is one of the many composites that opens and closes every day. The above photos are in the order they were taken.
The top five at 7:00 a.m. and the bottom one at 1:00 p.m. As you can see in photo #4, someone decided to mow the shoulder, but mercifully spared a few small patches of Madia. Why it had to be mowed, I'll never understand. There were no tall weeds that could obstruct the view of drivers. They were not encroaching onto the pavement. I think to some people a mowed area is aesthetically more appealing that one covered with weeds, even beautiful weeds. Oh, well. After they mow the field, or when the Madia go to seed, I'll have these photos and many others for summertime memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment