Friday, September 2, 2011

Ambush Bug Evolves!


I've got to think about this one a bit more. Meanwhile, please ponder these photos. Prompted by a NY Times book review, read while in view of my son's little robot bug, I've had lots of food for thought this morning.

There, I've thought.
The book review in question was "Believing is Seeing," a view of a book by Errol Morris. How could I resist a review with such a title, not to mention one containing intriguing words like "camera lucida," "camera obscura," and "epistemology." A reversal of the ages-old saying "Seeing is believing," it reminds me of a phenomenon I am constantly aware of while doing my photography, especially when it comes to choosing a few images out of hundreds for public display. I am frequently reminded that when I see beauty in a certain bug or plant, others may see ugliness and danger. I've always been interested how names like "Ambush Bug," much less "Western Bloodsucking Conenose," reveal attitudes that prevailed when these critters were named. The closing paragraph of the review reminds us that ultimately, we humans want to be noticed; we want our existence acknowledged, hopefully in a positive light. However, I am also reminded of the lesson in the famous Steven Crane poem:
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist."
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Is not this the ultimate existential horror?
Whenever I see a new hardback release offered for $25-30, I wince and tell myself I can wait for the paperback. Well, this one's offered at $40, and I might not be able to wait.
I've posted photos and comments about the Ambush Bug on August 15, 18, and 27, and mentioned that I hope I get to see it ambush something before it disappears for winter. Well, I couldn't wait. Hopefully, when you look at today's photos you'll be able to see an Ambush Bug and discover its aesthetic qualities. You have to believe!




No comments:

Post a Comment