Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Taming of the Shrew

I found this cute little shrew, about the size of my thumb, curled up in a depression in my front yard. Unfortunately, I think it has been permanently "tamed." Probably one of our cats did it. Rather amazing little animals. Very high metabolism, and they have more teeth than we do. In a mammalian order called Insectivores. Seldom seen alive except by naturalists and biologists who seek them out - and my cats.
Had a great day at Snake Lake yesterday during the last session of my Adventures in Nature Journaling class. Saw at least couple dozen different kinds of fungi. Very colorful. Also lots of lichens and a few species of late-blooming wildflowers. Took over 100 photos. Will make some selections and post them here by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment