Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Wonders Never Cease!








Ever since last Saturday's outing to Snake Lake I've been reviewing my photos of fungi and preparing to post a few with a summary of that trip. Then I take a break and walk around my front yard and up and down my driveway and there's always something new and exciting there that tempts me to push the other project aside. Above is a modest example of that. Two current photos of my friends, the Oak Treehoppers, and six of various fungi and slugs. The top photo was particularly intriguing to me because I had never before seen an adult treehopper perched with its wing covers or fore-wings spread aside and the under-wings spread, apparently ready for flight. As we approached fall during September, I was a bit nostalgic for the wildflowers I had seen during the previous spring and summer and a bit forlorn about what I thought would be diminished photo opportunities in the fall. I was very wrong. When I distanced myself a little from the Awesome Autumn focus on fall colors (meaning mostly red and orange leaves), I discovered all sorts of new plants and animals that I had overlooked before. It's been a very exciting fall. Lots to think about and write about during the coming winter by the wood stove and in local coffee shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment