Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Fungi Are Busy





Earlier, I posted a photo of the Bird's Nest Fungus and promised five more.  Here they are.  I think an awareness of their ecological roles must be a major factor in my seeing them as beautiful.  There are many elements of the natural environment that most people find ugly, but I think an understanding of the interdependence of all organisms would change that.  I just helped my daughter finish a biology assignment dealing with this very topic, food chains, food webs the role of decomposers, and so on.  The lesson came from a textbook, and I don't think she was very interested.  While she was in school, I was walking in the woods and seeing this lesson in real life.  What a difference!  Brought back memories of days teaching when I was sometimes reprimanded for bringing kids outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment