Sunday, February 26, 2012

My New M.O.





And I don't mean Modus Operandi.  I mean Moss Obsession.  Having lots of fun observing and trying to figure out this group of "lower" plants.  My wildflower guides give only passing attention to mosses, ferns, liverworts, and the Kingdom Fungi, that latter no longer considered plants.  They make discouraging statements like "some of these are very difficult to identify in the field, even with a hand lens."  But I find their reproductive patterns fascinating, as well as their ability to adjust to changing weather, and the associations with other plants and invertebrates.  There are many great little worlds to be discovered while crawling around on hands and knees among the mosses.  I'll be looking for a new field guide that gives them their due.

No comments:

Post a Comment