Friday, May 11, 2012

Other Side of the Creek










For yesterday's report on some flowers of Oakland Camp, I hiked along the dirt road on the camp side of Spanish Creek which receives a lot more sunlight than the other side.  The difference is particularly great along the stretch where the creek flows west.  Yesterday's terrain was mostly south-facing, while today's was mostly north-facing.  The creek passes by camp in a northerly direction, then takes a 90-degree turn to the West.  The change in flora and fauna due to the different sun exposure and wind is remarkable.  Some of the same flowers were found on both sides: Red Larkspur, Balsam Root, Service Berry, and Buck Brush, for instance.  But here I am posting photos of plants and animals I saw only on the "other" side - except for the Fence Lizard.  They're everywhere!
The top photo is Bitterbrush, Purshia tridentata, a plant adapted to dry conditions, and a member of the rose family.  I think the second photo is a species of Sandwort, Arenaria spp., but I'm not sure.  If so, it's a member of the pink or carnation family.  Very tiny with linear, spike-like leaves.  The third photo is Rock Cress, Arabis holboellii, in the mustard family and a close relative of the Elegant Rock Cress (purple flowers) that I've often photographed around the Greenville Y.  Next one looks like a species of Horkelia, Horkelia, spp., a member of the rose family.  Again, I'm not too sure.  Back on surer footing, I came across a patch of Shasta Daisies, AKA Ox-eye Daisies, Chrysanthemum leucanthemum, a non-native that is well-established.  In a few weeks, they'll put on a great display all around American Valley, but for now, I was happy to see some buds.  I've already posted close-ups of the blooming Umbrella Plant, Darmera peltata, but today I thought I'd show their typical setting by the creek.  There are lupines on both sides of the creek, but today I came across dense patches of the tiny Sky Lupine, Lupinus nanus.  Then, a rather tame Fence Lizard, clearly in breeding condition - note the blue spots on the back.  Finally, when I got home, I tipped over a small board in my front yard and startled a nice centipede.  It ran around in circles a few times, then found its hiding place.  The second photo of it shows the hole where it disappeared.  I tried to get a shot of it half way down the hole, but it was too quick.  I should mention that the forest along the west side of Spanish Creek near Oakland Camp is particularly beautiful - lots of large trees of all the typical species.  If we have a less than optimum year for wildflowers, this is always a beautiful hike.  A place to broaden one's horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment