Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Photo Challenges







For the most part, the low sun angle of early morning and late afternoon produces the best lighting for photographing wildflowers.  When the sun is directly overhead, colors can get washed out and shadows are often not complimentary.  When I try to find the bugs that visit the blossoms, sometimes early morning is best because it's cool and they're not so active.  That is, I can usually get closer without scaring them away.  It's also fun to compare morning and afternoon conditions because some flowers open and close daily on a predictable schedule, and also a different array of visitors may be found.  The quality of my attention and aesthetic sense must vary also.  On this and the following post are the results of my wanderings in and near Quincy over the past two days.  The top photo is my best yet of the Spotted Coralroot, Corallorhiza maculata, taken at the side of my driveway this morning.  The white of this flower usually overwhelms my sensor and erases detail.  The plant is almost always in the shade which means either not enough light or use of flash.  This is an incredible-looking wild orchid, and I'm still not satisfied with my photos.  The image of it in my memory is perfect, however.
The second photo is of Blue Gilia, Gilia capitata.  These are common along the roadside on the way out to Oakland Camp.  I photographed this one near the railroad track where Taylor Creek runs under it.  Although most of the local specimens I've seen are nearly white, they can be quite blue in places, hence the name.
The next two photos are of a buttercup.  I believe it's the Creeping Buttercup, Ranunculus repens, but I could be wrong.  THere are over two dozen species of yellow Ranunculus in the Sierra and I'm not a Ranunculus expert.  These two images were taken near the high school softball fields, but they are also beginning to bloom near the paved walkway at the college.  They've learned to bloom below the height of the mower blades. 
Next, I've posted another image of the Ceckered Clerid Beetle, Trichodes ornatus, on a blossom of Purple Nightshade, Solanum xanti.  To me, this is a beautiful combination of colors.
The last two photos are of Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. It's not blooming yet, but it's my favorite "bug magnet," and it's already attracting beetles and butterflies.  Last year, I saw beetles and butterflies trying to open the buds.  They give off a wonderful fragrance that reminds me of peach cobbler baking.

4 comments:

  1. More GREAT photos!!! The one of the spotted coral root is genius. It's such a difficult plant to photograph, let alone get such a clear picture of. And it seems those buttercups are just as clever as the dandelions.

    You mentioned the color combo of the clerid beetle on the nightshade. As an artist that is one of the first things you learn. That nature uses a lot of colors that are opposite on the color wheel: golden rabbit brush against indigo or purple mountains, golden-orange aspen against an intense blue sky, red against green, etc. This is a great color combo because it's a sort of lavender blue with gold. Often in my paintings I will use opposites because they zing against each other, even if it's just a very tiny touch of tuscan red on a green stem or a spot of blue with yellow. But be careful, those colors next to each other make each other look brighter, but if you layer the colors on top of each other you get dull shadowy colors which are useful to make things look 3-D. Try experimenting with it. It's fun!

    rosindigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm still not entirely satisfied with my Coralroot photos. AS for the color combos, it's one thing to view them from an artist's perspective, but from this naturalist's perspective, the operating question is 'What survival advantage did this color pattern confer on the species so that it survives? Natural selection puts a premium on survival, not on pleasing artists. Hard to keep that in mind, because there is so much out there that is quite pleasing to us artists. A lot of the selected colors are undoubtedly co-evolving with the sensitivities of the pollinators, and it's not just color in play but also fragrance and maybe properties we haven't discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, of course, that survival is #1. I was given to understand that there are pollinators who see only certain colors; thus a hummingbird is attracted mainly to reds and to tube-like blooms, and bees to yellows, whites and blues. There are even certain plants, that are very colorful but with only green foliage for us humans to see while the colorful flower faces the ground, and that's because their main pollinators seem to be ants and other nonflying insects. Birds spread seeds for survival and so does wind. It seems nature has worked things out in ways that we have yet to understand completely.

    I guess one of the ways a naturalist can help a scientist with plausible theories is by observation and reporting what they find. It would be interesting to see the world from the aspect of pollination and survival, but I admit I enjoy my artistic perspective more than the why's of something except in a peripheral sense of interest. That's one reason I come here, because I learn a lot about the plants I paint, and I like that part of it also. But I also tend to believe that beauty speaks for itself and needs no reasons.

    And that reminds me of something I've been curious about ever since I first saw it on Lake Davis, and wondered if you have any theories about. I saw a group of white pelicans do a dance as beautiful as any ballet I've ever seen, with perfectly choreographed movements, lines, circles, dipping their heads and spreading their wings at the same time. As I was watching the performance I did wonder if this was a social ritual or some sort of courtship ritual. There were about ten of them doing the dance, and so my feeling is that it was a social ritual---but I don't know. I've also seen them do that in flight and it was a privilege to be able to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen a gathering doing this, but I have seen a pair dancing around each other, alternately raising their bills skyward and inflating their pouches and pointing their bills down toward their feet, followed by the male standing on the back of the female. With no binoculars, I couldn't see any details, but it appeared to be a successful copulation. My best guess is that what you saw was some preliminary competition for mates before the final pairing was accomplished. Must have been beautiful.

    ReplyDelete