Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rumor Was True!





This was a great day for photographing wildflowers, bugs, and probably some other things I've forgotten already.  I made roadside stops in several places around American Valley, two trips to Oakland Camp, and one trip to Snake Lake.  Also took my son to several garage sales, mowed the lawn, and made my own lunch.  So, I am buried in photos.  Suffice to say, these Mountain Lady Slippers near Oakland Camp were one of the highlights of the day.  It's a bit worrisome and disappointing to have them blooming so early.  Participants in Feather River Art Camp, June 16 through 21, will probably miss them.  Maybe this year, the July flowers will bloom in June so they'll get to see something new!  It might take a couple of days for me to select other photos from today and post them along with some notes.  One of my favorite observations of the day was made right on Main Street in Quincy, in front of a botanist's house, no less.  I think I'll post that one next.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Great to see them in bloom. Seems like lots of things are on different schedules this year; both early and late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, just missed this by yards. Up from Berkeley for the eclipse weekend and some Darlingtonia and Calochortus viewing. Exploring Saturday morning we passed either you or one of your friends near Oakland Camp: should have pulled over to say hello!

    ReplyDelete