Monday, June 11, 2012

Friendly Bugs of Oakland Camp






I brought my camera to camp today mainly to try to get some images of the Red-breasted Sapsucker that predictably lands on a light post near the mess hall every morning and pecks at the metal cap on top.  Since it will never catch any bugs that way, everyone in camp seems to believe it is just showing off.  Who am I to contradict that?  Anyway, I heard this critter rapping on the metal at 9:05, got my camera out of the car and carefully walked toward the light pole.  I got no closer than 50 feet when it took off and I never saw it again all morning.  Interestingly, yesterday morning, it pecked away at the same spot the whole time around 30 of us were playing noisy tag games closer than 50 feet from its perch.  Does that mean the bird was just camera shy? 
In any case, the day was not disappointing as far as photography was concerned.  On a trip to the men's rest room, I found a great variety of beautiful moths, including the one in the top photo that obviously knew she was beautiful.  But she was in the wrong restroom.  The two beetle photos were found at the edge of camp on a bluff overlooking the railroad tracks, and the hovering bee was above some Cow Parsnip at the edge of the road near the Chandler Road bridge over Spanish Creek.  Be sure to click on these photos for closer views.  Some elegant patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment