Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Back Yard Investigations

 This late-season Salsify is only about 10 inches tall.  During its peak season in early summer, it gets 3 to 4 feet tall before blooming.  I love watching the late season attempts by flowers like these, Daisies, and Dandelions to get a little more propagation accomplished before winter.  I took the above photo just as the morning sun struck the plant, the the photo below 10 minutes later.  Not as dramatic as time lapse video, but enough to appreciate the response to sunlight.  It'll be fully open by early afternoon, then begin closing up for the night.  After a week or so of this daily cycle, it'll stay closed one day and begin seed development.  If I'm lucky, I'll get to see the spherical explosion of seeds before an early snow halts the process.
 The bug I've featured here a number of times recently appears to be a species of Shield Bug or Shield-backed Bug in the genus Eurygaster, Family Scutellaridae.  It resembles a Eurasian species named E. testudinaria.  I want it to be that one because I love turtles and this bug's resemblance to them.  But, I haven't been able to confirm the species.  Sure is beautiful.  Would make a nice pattern for wallpaper in a mountain cabin.
 I keep thinking the Oak Treehoppers are gone for the season, then I spot another small group.  This morning's photo shows no adults.  I wonder if this crop will become adults before the snow.  I marked the spot - not that they'll necessarily stay put.
 This "roadside distraction" was sort of a cute find deep in the woods beyond Oakland Camp.  I thought I'd post the photo here to show that not all items left behind are necessarily trash.  We found nobody in the vicinity even though the bike looks "parked."  Good way to start a mystery.  If it lasts through the winter in this position, it will be fun to watch it get gradually covered by Bindweed (AKA Orchard Morning Glory) next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment