Friday, October 19, 2012

Stages: Another Distraction

As I try to get back to reviewing photos from my hikes earlier in the week, Nature keeps surprising me.  The Cascara Buckthorn, also known as Cascara Sagrada, and formerly known as Coffee Berry (which is now the name of a closely-related species), is scientifically known as Rhamnus purshiana.
Its leaves are changing color, and the leaves on any given tree don't change at the same rate of speed.  Off my back deck, while investigating the sunrise, I noticed the stages - red, yellow, red - on a single bush and decided to pick one of each for a photo.  Then I noticed that at every stage the backside of the leaf was a paler rendition of that color.  That prompted me to pick an additional sample of each stage and create the above arrangement for you, my reader/viewer.  This was accomplished by placing them on plain white copy paper on my dining room table, cropping out the wood of the table that was showing around the edges, and not doing any other manipulation (AKA editing).  In other words, no fancy equipment, no editing tricks.  Just let Nature tell the story. Later, I might need to do a watercolor pencil version of this arrangement for my nature journal.  Depends on how many other distractions I encounter today.  You see, the spider might come back.  In predictable fashion, she consumed her yesterday's web and should build another one today.  But it might not be in the same place.  She might want to avoid photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment