Monday, December 3, 2012

I Miss This Scene

   I took this photo about a month ago when the Rabbitbrush just outside the college library was in peak form.  Evidently the Skippers (sharing traits of butterflies and moths) agreed. They were abundant and apparently mesmerized by this warm and nutritious landing place.
   As I entered the library today, the Rabbitbrush were past having gone to seed and were rapidly on their way to becoming soil.  An exciting process, to be sure, but aesthetically no match for the summer show. 
   In the library I'm working on editing a friend's story which begins with a drive through a place like Sierra Valley or American Valley where Rabbitbrush is a dominant roadside plant.  The main character in the story hardly has botanical delights in mind, but my friend's description is sufficient to bring me back to celebrating late summer experiences while surrounded by Rabbitbrush.  It so happens I had this photo on my desktop awaiting use in another project, but a collision of thoughts and events has prompted me to share it now.  If you click on the photo, it'll make you wish you were a skipper, at least for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment