Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sensitivity Genes?

 I've been reading about a sensitivity gene, one that interacts with environmental conditions and manifests in either positive or negative ways in a person's life.  To paraphrase the article I read on Alternet, the gene, depending on the environmental conditions of its possessor, seems to fuel both the lowest and the highest of human accomplishments - from crime to creative genius.  Our species seems to have become less and less sensitive to environmental conditions ever since the industrial revolution began.  For instance, do you know what phase the Moon is in right now, or where Jupiter is in the sky?   Discovery of this gene could theoretically lead to protocols for regaining sensitivity to the environment.  I'm not sure they'll come up with anything more helpful than walking and paying attention.  So, why the frog photos?

Evidently, the frogs, among other critters, are pretty fine-tuned to temperature change.  
After a long spell of single digit morning temperatures (that's Fahrenheit!), we had a warmer day today.  It didn't freeze last night, and it rained a bit.  The Pacific Coast Chorus Frog, among other critters, was apparently sensitive to the change.  I parked in the lower parking lot of the FRC campus this morning, and, as I walked up the hill, I was struck by the large numbers of these little frogs chirping.  They were all in their mottled brown phase, so they were very difficult to spot.  There were also many Juncos and Ravens about, even though I had hardly seen any birds over the past couple of weeks.  I didn't see or hear any Bullfrogs, so I assume the ones living in the fish hatchery ponds are still buried in the mud at the bottom, or at least are not so easily tempted to enjoy a brief warm spell.
 For comparison, I'm posting a couple of summer photos of the same species of frog showing its green phase.    This frog occurs up and down the Pacific Coast and has amazing color variations.  Some taxonomists split it into three or more species.  The top two photos were taken in my front yard in Quincy and the bottom one was taken behind my previous home in Leggett (Coastal Range).
When I first moved to California it was still known as the Pacific Coast Tree Frog and had the scientific name Hyla regilla.  Due to some new genetic testing technology, it was found to be more akin to the East Coast Chorus Frogs and is now, in most manuals, known as the Pacific Coast Chorus Frog and scientifically as Pseudacris regilla.  This brief morning episode has given me 'delusions of spring.'  I'm sure it won't last.

No comments:

Post a Comment