Sunday, February 24, 2013

Random Access Memory

It's taking forever to load just one photo onto my blog tonight.  I think everyone in the world except for me must be watching the Academy Awards.  My son just did an internet speed test and it came up slower than he's ever seen anywhere!  So, the photo of a starfish may or may not load.  If not, I will try again tomorrow, along with an explanation of my title.

Tomorrow (2/25): Turns out there was a problem with the land line, or some switches somewhere.  So, last night I got a partial picture of my starfish.  This morning at another location I am able to load the whole thing.  This dried starfish has been a decoration in our bathroom for years.  It's been 50 years since I took Comparative Invertebrate Anatomy.  Haven't studied Echinoderms since. When I spotted the little white circle, approximately in the 2 o'clock position slightly off center, the term "madreporite" popped into my head.  It's the entry point for the pumping system that allows starfish to adhere tenaciously to rocks, shellfish, etc.  When I ponder the thousands of things I've forgotten since college days, I wonder what brain function chooses to remember such a term as madreporite.  I wonder if under hypnotism I could still pass the semester exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment