Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Looking for Flowers on a Gray Day

 We don't find many flowers blooming on a gray, cloudy day.  But there is still much to discover and enjoy on a nature walk.  On Sunday morning two images that stood out were the wasp galls on the willows (above) growing along Spanish Creek, and a yellow flower (below) on a vine-like plant crawling in the shade beneath the willows and alders at the side of Spanish Creek.  I haven't been able to identify the yellow flower, so if you have any ideas please add them to the comments section.

2 comments:

  1. sorry put the comment in the wrong place before.

    The flower is Lysimachia nummularia. Here is the wikipedia link and photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysimachia_nummularia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy. You nailed it! I'm relieved to find that it's non-native. If a native of my region stumped me I'd be embarrassed. I have several botanical friends who will be pleased to find out about this one. Funny, as a "weed" there is just this one small patch in the vicinity of Oakland Camp and it doesn't seem to be invading, although I see that it is invasive in some areas. Like us.

    ReplyDelete