Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Making More Bugs, Part 2

 Lots of drama happening on daisies this past week.  That's one reason I don't like to mow my lawn.  That's where the daisies grow.  The above photo is of a pair of Longhorn Beetles.  That's the family they are in.  I haven't identified the species, although it could be Stenocorus nubifer. We have many species of Longhorn Beetles around Quincy and many get quite large.  Adults can be more than 2" long and some of their larvae can exceed 4" in length and make sizable tunnels in the roots of pine trees.
 The Pacific Ambush Bug is beginning to appear.  A few weeks from now it will be the most abundant bug on Tansy (below) and occasionally visit the Daisies (above).  I've never seen it on any other plants.

 Defying gravity, this is one of my favorite photos (below).
 The most abundant beetle where I've been exploring this past week is the Common Checkered Clerid.  The word "clerid" is the Anglicized version of the family name, Cleridae.
 When this pair sensed my presence they started move across the Yarrow.  Or, I should say the female did.  Looks like the male didn't have much say in the matter.
 A pair of Convergent Ladybird Beetles (AKA Ladybugs) having fun among some young Stonecrop.
 Two's company, three's a crowd, or maybe not.  A menage a trois?
 Another couple having fun on the edge of some Yerba Santa.
 Longhorn Beetles on Angelica.
 A couple of Dendate Eleodes, AKA Stink Bugs,  uncovered while making love under a piece of bark (below).
 Two pairs of tiny beetles mating under the watchful eye of a Skipper on Mountain Dandelion.
 I call this last one "Double Dating on Buttercup."

No comments:

Post a Comment