Thursday, June 13, 2013

Plant of the Day

 Lest any of my readers think I've lowered my standards, I want to mention the above photo is not a studio shot.  It was taken in my front yard.  The sun was shining on the globe of seeds of Yellow Salsify and the shed in the background was in the shade, so the contrast allowed the background to be black.  The Yellow Salsify, Tragopogon dubius, are blooming all around the Quincy area at this time, and I never tire of looking at them.  Soon, many of them will be hosting colonies of aphids that will be "herded" by little brown ants.  I'll have more to say about that intriguing ecosystem when it happens.
 Meanwhile, when the Yellow Salsify blooms in Quincy, I'm reminded of the Purple Salsify that blooms in the coastal counties where I lived before.  The photo below was taken in Leggett.
Both species are also known as Oyster Plant and Goatsbeard.  The roots are edible, although I've never tried them. 

Quite a few species of flowers are blooming along the 5 trails leading out of Oakland Camp that I explore every week during the summer.  Tomorrow I'll begin posting the showiest ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment