Thursday, June 27, 2013

Preview of Thursday's Photos

 Today I drove to camp via Quincy Junction Road even though it's not the quickest way.  My goal was to photograph the Common Madia (below) which blooms only in the morning.  Then, at camp, I led a group of kids on a hike to Gilson Creek.  I was pleased to note that the creek rose a few inches as a result of the rains early in the week.  We saw lots of interesting bugs and flowers, including the caterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly and a healthy specimen of Grand Collomia (bottom photo).  I'll post more photos and some text about our adventures tomorrow morning.  A high point was catching a small garter snake in the creek.  Most of the kids wanted to pet it before we released it.
Interesting that the Monarch was on Narrow-leafed Milkweed, even though there was lots of its favorite Showy Milkweed nearby.  There were plenty of adult Monarchs circling the area as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment