Friday, June 14, 2013

Risking Life and Limb for Wildflowers

 My wife and I drove to Chico this afternoon via the Feather River Canyon.  I had my camera on board, but not really much time to stop.  Nevertheless, I stressed my peripheral vision in hopes of spotting blooming wildflowers that compelled me to stop.  In several places I spotted Blazing Star and Hooker's Evening Primrose, but between curves and lack of space to pull over, I decided it was too dangerous to stop.  However, I promised myself that on the way back I'd drive slower and get a few photos.  I haven't seen the two flowers mentioned since last summer and forget that they close up in the afternoon.  Just as I gave up the idea of doing photography in the canyon, I spotted a shiny green bush with lots of red blossoms.  I wondered, could it be the Spice Bush which I hadn't seen for a couple of years?  I drove through the tunnels, doubled back, and doubled back again, trying to find a safe place to park.  I did drive by the bush slowly enough to confirm that it was indeed Spice Bush.  The photo above is a bud, and the one below is in full bloom.
 The last photo is of the impressive seed capsule.  All three were taken in the same bush.  I regret that I didn't think to stand back a take a photo of the whole bush.
I could feel the wind of the 18-wheelers speeding by and hoped CHP wouldn't cite me for unsafe parking.  But I got my photos.  As we drove toward home, I began thinking of the truth of a quote in my little pocket notebook that I copied from the Preface of Wings in the Meadow by Jo Brewer.  It's a book I almost bought in Chico, but decided instead to enter it in my notebook for future consideration.  The quote was by John C. Downey and it reads "...the beauty of any living thing is only as profound as the interest of the observer."  He could have been talking about me and the Spice Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment