Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Beware the Weedeaaters!

I titled this photo "Quincy Landscaping."  The occasion?  Scroll back to my June 24 post titled "Reflections on a Cloudy Day," and you will see how much I love the Red Milkweed Beetle. I took those photos on Sunday, June 23, and yesterday I went back to the same spot to check on my beetles.  Well, the weedeaters had arrived and decimated the milkweeds and any beetles that weren't quick enough to take flight.  Why?  Presumably in preparation for the High Sierra Music Festival that moves in later this week.  The above photo was taken on what was one of my favorite wildflower and bug watching spots along the Oakland Camp Road.  This stretch was given the weedeater treatment over a week ago, allegedly in response to an auto accident that was blamed on lack of visibility.  Nonsense!  People drive too fast on the road, and if visibility is improved they'll just drive faster.  Get out of your damned car and smell the bugs!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed 100% All one needs to is take the late Ed Abbey's advice at the beginning of "Desert Solitaire" and they will be on the same page too! Or did I just divulge our secret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only a secret because not enough people read the book. And, as with Walden, if they do read it they purport to agree with it, but their actions and inactions belie the claim.

    ReplyDelete