Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Day at the Office, but....

 I had to spend most of the day at the office, trying to meet deadlines.  However, I had to get out of the car at least once on the way to check on the activity by the entrance to the FRC library.  I was not disappointed.  The large Carpenter Bees were there in greater numbers than last week when I posted a piece about very large bees. 
 The Thread-waisted Wasps were also plentiful and paid me no attention as I took many photos from close range.  I saw just one Skipper, so I think they might be getting ready to have their end-of-summer explosion.  If that doesn't materialize, I'll post some photos from last year at this time.
This last photo is a simple one, and it's Sagebrush.  We're used to seeing vast expanses of Sagebrush while driving by it at high rates of speed, say while crossing Nevada on I-80, or, in my case, driving from Quincy to Reno.  But to get a close look at just one plant is satisfying.  For one thing, it smells great, and the fragrance varies with the time of day.  I also get satisfaction from scientific names that tell a story.  This one is Artemesia tridentata.  Go ahead and Google it.  Can you believe it's in the same family as Dandelions?

No comments:

Post a Comment