Sunday, August 11, 2013

More Roadside Wanderings

I took my last guided nature hike of the season yesterday, and felt a little sad about it.  That is,  until I discovered that on most any short drive out of downtown Quincy, there is plenty for the nature lover to see.  Despite the browning of vegetation that happens at this time of year, there are some persistent species of wildflowers and attractive and/or interesting weeds.  And the birds.  On the way home from that last hike, I got my closest view yet of a Sandhill Crane. 
This morning on my way out to the college, I stopped to get a closer look at what was blooming.  There were several thistles and other members of the Asteraceae (sunflower family) that I haven't identified, and
first year and second year Mullein.

The tallest blooming flower I saw, also a member of the Asteraceae, looked a bit like a Groundsel or Goldenrod, but I haven't found the species in any of my books yet.
I found these little spheres of seeds very photogenic, but I don't recognize the species.  It's probably one I'd recognize while it's blooming, but haven't seen it before in this last stage of life.
I took several photos of the ditch-side willows, mainly to show some of the galls and the leaf buds, for my botany archives. 
Where there's water, there's always an opportunistic flower blooming well after its relatives on drier ground have gone to seed.  This Daisy looks as fresh as any of them did in the Spring.
While I await the beginning of Fall Colors, I'll probably be posting some of my favorites from this past summer.  You can also review the summer wildflowers around Qunicy by visiting the Bloom Blog at www,plumascounty.org

No comments:

Post a Comment