Thursday, August 1, 2013

There's a Snake in the Grass

Whenever I see an item like this disc of concrete that looks like it's been in place for a while, I assume there are some interesting critters beneath it.  I wasn't disappointed.  When I turned it over, ...
a young garter snake came to life.  At first he just coiled up, as if to hide, but then decided to seek cover and took off across the lawn.  As I was taking pictures of him as he tunneled through the grass, I thought of the phrase which is the title of today's post.  I don't like the phrase because it assumes an attitude about snakes that I think is incorrect.  Snakes don't pretend to be friends then double-cross.  They are not the least bit devious.  They're quite direct and honest about their intentions.  Like most well-adjusted creatures, they like to eat, sleep, mate, and avoid trouble. 
I don't know if it was memory or the sense of smell that guided the snake back to his original hiding place, or close to it.  As I followed along with the camera, he crawled about ten feet onto the lawn away from the concrete disc, then made a U-turn and came back to the place where I found him.
When I disturbed the disc again, he then crawled under an adjacent rock.  Never tried to bother me, just wanted to be left in peace.  I then went back to the concrete disc as I thought I had seen several other interesting critters under it, but got distracted by the snake which was more exciting.  I did find some interesting invertebrates there.  I'll put photos of them in my next post.

1 comment: