Friday, August 16, 2013

Two In My Path

 Spent the day yesterday without my camera.  Too busy with errands.  But I have to share a few images from my afternoon walk on Wednesday.  My wife and I hiked fairly far up Boyle Ravine and on the way down, this beautiful Alligator Lizard was in our path.  My wife spotted it first as I was busy looking sideways for other things. 

Then, when we got home, I looked at the several Red Clovers that have bloomed in our lawn since the last mowing.  I was slowed by this one, thinking I had spotted a small white imperfection amongst the tiny red blossoms.  Found it was the smallest Goldenrod Crab Spider I've ever seen, which I suppose some people would call an imperfection.  I was trying to imagine what sort of prey it would take on.  It was smaller than any ant I've seen.
This scene reminded me of a clover blossom at the side of the paved walkway at the college that leads from the large parking lot to the upper campus.  I spotted a larger Crab Spider on a Red Clover last Tuesday.  It was still there on Wednesday, and there again this morning.  I hope it last a few more days.  I'm sure the side of this particular walkway is due for weed-eating.  Drat.  If left alone, so much interesting stuff would happen there over the next month or two due to the small but steady flow of water from the leaking water tanks at the top of the hill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment