Tuesday, September 17, 2013

All Here But the Slug!

 With reference to yesterday's post about five observations made on campus, today I retraced my steps.  The Oak Treehoppers were still occupying the end of the same branch of California Black Oak.  When I first approached, I thought I might be seeing an invading predator with white wings.  Only upon zooming in with the camera did I realize it was one of the adult treehoppers.  In the past, I have seldom seen them move, and when I did disturb them enough to move, it was never obvious to me whether they hopped or flew.  They just disappeared quickly like fleas.  I have no idea why this one sat still with its wings spread for two or three minutes.  I had to move on.
 The Orange Peel Fungus remained undisturbed.  That did not surprise me as it's in a well-hidden, shady spot.  For scale I included a dime, then a penny, then, like a good naturalist, I had to get a photo without a man-made object intruding.  I'm a little embarrassed to say I like the one with the penny best.  In a few weeks there should be more of these and some will grow to 2 inches or more in diameter.

 Then, growing conveniently just outside our Nature Literature classroom was this beautiful Amanita.  It's out in the open, so I'll admit I am amazed and relieved that it's still there.  Is it too much to hope that it will remain undisturbed until tomorrow's class?  At least I have photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment