Friday, September 20, 2013

Almost Fall, but things are still growing

 This is the first group of Oak Treehoppers I spotted at the college a couple of weeks ago.  On this particular branch of California Black Oak, they're all adults now and getting bigger, and fewer.
On a neighboring branch I discovered another group who seem to be a week or more behind the first group in development.  It was nice to see this range of development on a sunny day.  I'll miss them when their season ends.
Here's a view of a branch of that oak tree while the leaves are still green.  The season of color change is near.
I'll be keeping track of the Orange Peel Fungi for a while.  Here's the first one I spotted a week ago with the penny for scale.  I took my class to see it on Wednesday and a very observant student spoted others.  Very tiny ones, a millimeter or two in diameter, were popping through the moss in several nearby locations.
The Amanita we spotted last week is trill standing, but it's starting to shrivel.  It has been a nice scenic attraction near our Nature Literature classroom.  Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so maybe more fungi will appear and the ones already here might fatten up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment