Thursday, September 5, 2013

That Good Old Mountain Dew

 Very foggy this morning, so I spent a little time in my front yard to see if anything has changed since yesterday.  As the first two photos indicate, the Oak Treehoppers have rearranged themselves a bit.  It must have been a fascinating 24 hours for them, each one moving perhaps a fraction of an inch and their mother moving in a bit closer.
 On a neighboring Oak tree I checked at least 50 branch tips and found only a lone adult.  She was very alert and kept hiding on the back side of the branch every time I got close with the camera.  It took several attempts before I could twist the branch quicker than she could hide while keeping my right index finger on the shutter release.
 Under my "bug board" there has been an increase in activity since the recent rains.  This slug was the only critter slow enough for me to photograph.  A number of ground beetles and earwigs disappeared down little holes in a fraction of a second. 
 In the middle of my recently mowed lawn, I thought I had discovered a spider web, but on closer inspection, I decided it was a slime mold. If it's there tomorrow, I'll check with a hand lens.
 Finally, the title photo - a close-up of good old mountain dew.  No, not that kind!

1 comment:

  1. Those Treehoppers are really cool looking! Did you ever find out if that spider web-y looking stuff was a slime mold?

    ReplyDelete