Saturday, September 21, 2013

More Woodpile Excitement

 We had some rain last night, so I was glad I had put a tarp over the new load of firewood that had been delivered earlier.  This morning we had a break, so I was able to get in about 4 hours of splitting and stacking before the rain resumed.  One stubborn piece of cedar, full of knots, tested my patience.  I almost gave it one more very hard blow when I thought I spotted some legs.  I poked a small stick into the cave-like crack under a knot when a bark beetle dwelling there exited out of the back side of the log. It was probably still too cold to run away quickly when I first exposed its hiding place, so I had time to run inside to get my camera.  I have another 1 1/2 cords to go, so I'll make sure I keep the camera nearby when I start splitting again.  I almost forgot how exciting it was last fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment