Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday on the lawn

I'm used to walking by the edge of my lawn on the cement sidewalk and watching various flying insects scoot out of the way.  Today, after having split and stacked a lot of firewood yesterday, I was lazy enough to just lie on the lawn and do nothing.  I don't do nothing well.  As the bugs began to return and visit the flowers close to me, I couldn't resist getting my camera.  There was a very busy California Sister butterfly close by, and I took several dozen photos, trying in vain to catch her with wings fully spread.
At first she landed on the cement walkway some 25 feet from me, but gradually got brave enough to visit the dandelions just a few feet away that were already being visited by Skippers.



When I decided I'd lain on the lawn long enough, I spotted some very fresh looking Yellow Sorrel.  They've made a comeback since last weekend's rain.
I went inside to post my photos and started to review my archives for photos to accompany some writing I'm doing.  Came across two from last year that I couldn't resist posting with today's observations.  The first is a cure row of sprouts of a plant I never did identify growing out of the mud of a recently dried up stream.  I love how they're lined up and cast prominent shadows.
Another that got me excited all over again was of a butterfly and a bee occupying the same flower.
I thought I was done for the day, but my wife just invited me to walk up into Boyle Ravine with our dog, so I guess I'll bring the camera.  There might be some new activity on that large patch of Tansy I've featured here often.

No comments:

Post a Comment