Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wood Splitting Distractions

 As I took a brief break from splitting firewood rounds, I thought I spotted a damaged ping pong ball on my lawn.  On closer inspection, after removing a bit of the Wood Sorrel from around it, a beautiful mushroom was revealed.  This was one of those days when I kept the camera close by, hoping for distractions.  Splitting firewood is hard work, especially when I can hear my neighbor's gasoline-powered splitter while I work.
 When I got back to work, the first piece of split wood I picked up revealed a Cockroach.  They're very fast, but are prone to sticking their heads under the smallest particles and believing they're hidden.  It didn't work.  I caught him.
 He immediately "played possum" in my hand.  I thought he was either dead or in shock.   He stayed upside down on my hand for several minutes.  When I put him gently down on another log, he took off very quickly.  Good actor!  I've never seen one of these in our house.  Quite a change from our experiences in Louisiana and South Carolina.  I think the California roaches probably realize they have a better meal deal outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment