Friday, October 11, 2013

My New Currency

I've been thinking more about yesterday's post and my thoughts about currency.  I was on my way to photograph the Orange Peel Fungus again, just in case it didn't survive the weekend, when I stopped by a colleague's office.  She offered me a snack in the form of chocolate-covered balls of malted milk.  I can't remember the brand name, but it occurred to me that they're a little smaller in diameter than pennies and might be a more aesthetically pleasing measuring unit.  They don't produce a harsh reflection and, unlike pennies, they are edible.  That's one of the problems with money.  You can't eat it.  So, if I can find a steady supply of these tasty little balls, they might become my new currency.  If I use them often enough I'll develop a strong visual and tactile sense of their size and can use them for scale in future photos.  So, the Orange Peel Fungus is now four malt balls in diameter!  Or, for those of you still dependent on the older system, the malt ball is 13 mm in diameter and the fungus is 52 mm at its widest point.  The malt balls allow for better color balance in the photos than the penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment