Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Fungal Tour of Our Driveway

 Some of these, like the coral fungus above, are well on their way to returning to the soil.  Others are in their prime, at least in the aesthetic sense, and still others are new arrivals.  A wonderful variety in a 100-foot walk.  In the middle is the one remaining California Black Oak that still has some leaves.  I was pleased to see that it also has a few Oak Treehoppers.  Both leaves and treehoppers have disappeared from the oaks I watch on the FRC campus.  I guess our driveway is a bit more protected from the harsh winds and cold breezes from the North.  This is the first time I've photographed treehoppers as late as November.  Click on any photos here for closer views. I'm not much at identifying mushrooms, but I definitely love to look at them.  In this shady, damp environment, one is transported to another world.
























No comments:

Post a Comment