Sunday, November 10, 2013

Another pointless collection

 Actually, there might be a point to it, but I think I need a good night's sleep before I try to make sense of it.
There.  A new morning.  It's now 5:30 a.m., Monday, although the end of this post will retain last night's time of posting.
Some notes about these drawings.  The above portrait of a post for ships to tie to, an old one in Big River, a remnant from Mendocino's logging days.  What attracted me was the steel cable, always fun to draw, and the poop of an Alligator Lizard on top.  When I approached the scene, a large Alligator Lizard was stretched out along the cable, but he wouldn't stay still long enough for a drawing, so....
Another from my series of drawings of my drawing tools.  I miss fountain pens.  They still exist, so I'm not sure why I don't just buy one and some ink.  I guess I'm caught in the "convenience" trap like most everyone else.
My drawing of a fat Tree Frog that accompanied an article I published back in 1981.  I think today I'll color it, then post it again later.
I did this one in Leggett when I was teaching my high school biology class about nature journaling.
This one is more recent, from my driveway in Quincy.  This was part of an Upward Bound project I cooked up back in the summer of 2007.  It was called the Leaf Project.  I had the students do sketches, photographs, and research everything they could find out about leaves and create binders full of this stuff.  It included songs like Autumn Leaves, text about photosynthesis, and other meanings of the word 'leaf' besides the botanical.  I had fun with it.  I'm not sure if they did.
Another entry in the Leaf Project.  Based on a fallen leaf from the large Mountain Ash by the courthouse in Quincy.
A colorful rooster.  I can't remember the source.  Probably a photo.  Trying out my Prismacolor pencils.
The subject of my essay, written several years ago, "A Crack in the Sidewalk."  This is Pineapple Weed.  Close relative of Camomile.
This branch tip of Red Alder sketched from our canoe while on the upper reaches of the navigable portion of the Noyo River in Fort Bragg.
A sketch based on my own photo of the Red Milkweed Beetle resting on Showy Milkweed.  The buds hadn't yet opened, and I was intrigued by the beetle's attempt to open them.  So, I guess she wasn't resting after all.
The common denominator here is that paging through my old journals has motivated me to start drawing again.  There's now a blank journal on my desk.  Scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment