Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 4. New Evidence

 Took a great afternoon hike today pretty far up Boyle Ravine to a place I haven't visited for many months.  I'll report on my findings a while later, but first, an update on my rescued weed.  Note, the embryonic leaves (the first two that actually develop inside the seed) are stretching out horizontally, while the second pair of leaves are vertical in the photo.  In the second photo, you can see that the second pair are a bit more textured and have slightly serrated edges.  I put a dime in this photo for scale, and, as you know, in this country money is the ultimate measure of all things!
Those serrated edges have me thinking that Dalynn might be right.  This might be a dandelion.  Still too early for me to tell, but I'm sure some botanist out there already knows.  That's it for now.  I need to grade more essays before I can back to blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment