Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The End of My Mushroom Season

 Note, I said my mushroom season.  It is definitely not the end of the mushroom season.  It's just that in my neighborhood, where all these photos were taken this past week, the variety and health of the forest fungi has reashed a peak, and I have decided to shift my blogging topics to other matters.
 I do love the varieties of brown, and I'll try to do some watercolor pencil drawings based on some of these photos in the coming weeks.  It is definitely too cold to sit in the woods and draw.  In a few of these photos there is still a hint of photosynthesis, for those of us who are still missing summer.
 The fungi in this series range from about 1/4" in diameter to over 6".  Some impressive structures.
 I'll try to identify them at my leisure, my mycology is definitely not my strong suit.  That would be wildflowers and herpetology, neither of which is fun at the location at this time of year, although an FRC student did point out to me today a few asters still blooming on campus.  She said, "Wow!  They're tougher than shit" and I had to agree. She's a horsewoman and agreed that horse poop deteriorates much faster than these asters.





I've fallen slightly behind my goal of "a post per day keeps the doctor away" but I'll try to make up for that during the four-day weekend ahead.  Happy Holiday everyone, and find things to enjoy besides shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment