Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Rest of the Fungi

 This post begins and ends in my front lawn.  It's a series from an afternoon fungus walk I took a few days ago.  The photo above shows an interesting green growth on the trunk of the birch tree that was felled by heavy snow a couple of winters ago.  Not sure if the growth is a fungus, a lichen (which is part fungus) or a liverwort.  No mycologists in the neighborhood, as far as I know, so I'll hit the books.
 Along the driveway, the first attraction is the coral fungus which is now in the process of shriveling up for the winter.
 This bright red one is right in the path where kids walk to and from school, so I'm impressed that it's still there.  Very bright red.
 This tiny one is off the beaten path in the shade.  Maybe 3/4" in diameter.
 These big green ones make me think of the Andromeda Strain.
 A nice big cluster of brownish ones that look tasty, but I don't plan to try them.  The big guy below is one of many in an area just off the driveway.  I suspect they're all connected by a membrane, the mycelium, lurking beneath the pine and fir needles.
Back to my front lawn where this conical fungus cap has been stable for several weeks and is the only one remaining as far as I can tell.  It catches water every time it rains and shows no signs of wilting yet, despite the freezing mornings.  I have about 6 more waiting for my next post.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment on your writers group blog but alas, I Hello, i am not a member of your writers blog, but I wanted to compliment you on your blue bug foto and wondered why we give birth to these blogs and then let them fall to the way side. I did the same with one of mine. the other i keep up with. If you are a writer, try out D'versepoets.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello: I'm not sure which bug you are referring to. The blue comb? Thanks, anyway. Not sure about people who let their blogs "fall by the wayside." Maybe thy don't anticipate the long haul, and find it a grind. I've remained enthusiastic about mine for several years now, and have averaged a post per day this year. I see it as an evolving journal, and besides getting interesting feedback from people, it also fuels my other writing ambitions and my teaching. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into D'versepoets.com.

    ReplyDelete